Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Menom Love

I am back home on the reservation. There has not been much change at all and yet because I have changed, it is all different. I was at the table reading when my dad’s cousin and his wife came to the house. I look at them as my aunt and uncle. Since, my last visit my aunt had to have dialysis three times a week. She is now a softer person and yet still jokes as before. She is one person that jokes with my dad and teases him. You can tell the illness has taken a toll but the bond that my aunt and uncle share is so strong. You can see the love and commitment in their eyes. It is so beautiful. Today, I was surprised to see on my reservation a marriage of love. My uncle helped her carry stuff to the car but not in a way that was over the top but in a way that the act done; as he just read her mind. I could not tear my eyes away from seeing the invisible communication. I am thankful that my uncle is there for my aunt during her hardship. She has such a battle to be fought. She had a transplant and was in the hospital for so long, far away from home. We went to their house tonight, and when we came in, they were seating right next to each other on the couch; both watching the baseball game. They both spoke of their grandchildren with such pride and that is when I notice my aunt had a hickey! I was so shocked but in a good way. It was proven then, that there is a possibility of a successful marriage and I was given hope. Their son came into the house then, my little brother and he had grown so much. He has grown over two feet since I last saw him! I went on and on about my memories of him and my aunt cried. She cries easily now, but her tears are her appreciation, feelings are realized today and that was a lesson learned for me. He is a great kid. He does so well in school and if he is not in school; he is out in the woods fishing. Today, he found eagle feathers out on the lake and he is such a blessing to our nation. He will be a great Menominee man. I then, knew that my aunt and uncle’s love had created something we all could be proud of. I forget that my aunt has struggle every day when I am far away and will remember now. Love was a dream of mine that came true. I may not know love just yet but two people that deserve it have it and that is all I ever need.

No comments: