Friday, December 4, 2009

Black Hair Red Skin

The other day, I took my mother to see a movie. The movie was about a young Black guy that struggled within the inner city and was adopted by a white family and therefore was given opportunities. The movie was touching and heartfelt. And makes for irony...

During the movie, I was rude and highlighted my phone to see what text I had received. I admit I was being rude. But, the guy next to me then tells me that the phone is glaring in his eyes and to turn it off. I understand he didn’t like my phone but it was the way he said it that made me more alert. I glared at him thru the dark and turned my phone over in my lap. He then tells me again to turn my phone OFF. I was like, what is this guy’s deal? And I suddenly wished that I did not move my jacket and purse for him to have the seat next to me. I then told him, “Say please, asshole.”

Later in the movie, he started talking to the person sitting next to him. I then said, “Can you please, stop talking? Thank you.” He then started telling me, “You have no manners. WHERE are you FROM?” And, that is when I knew. He was a racist bastard and that is why I was so offended by him. Just because I have long black hair and turquoise on; he chose to have an opinion of me from the start.
Right when he first told me to turn my phone off, I knew. I am not sure at what point in my life, I got the intuition of the how to tell when someone hates you but I have it. I can feel it when someone simply does not like me because of the red of my skin. I hated him as soon as he spoke.

When he asked where I am from. I didn’t reply. I was silent.

I stayed up most of that night. Angered in the dark. And it was not because of the racist bastard but because I didn’t represent my people the right way. I hate how one of my rude acts translates into my whole nation. It vibrates. The things I do everyday, all day are labeled with the black of my hair and red skin.

I finally slept after I stood tall and said my reply to a man that was no longer there.

“I am from the place where the earth gave birth to me. I am from where the trees are so tall and protect my heart. I am from where the river water runs to supply my heart. I am from where the dirt made my skin. I am from the land where wind gives you life. I am from the same place my ancestors are from. Where are You from?”

And his answer would obviously be, “I don’t know.” I then knew I was blessed. I may be hated and judged upon because of my red skin and black hair but I know where I am from.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a sad but true fact that racism is still out and about.. now it's just covered up a lil bit.
I'd say that you did your ancestors proud in your reply regardless if you said it to this man or not. You put it out there in the universe! That's all you need. :)

DJ TR-ONE/Fly Joint Productions said...

A couple years ago the United Nations did a study and found that racially motivated incidents against we Natives in America has actually been on the rise in the past decade, where as racial incidents against other races has been steadily on the decline for the past past 2 decades. I'm not sure the study was correct, though. The treatment myself and my mother have received hasn't changed much in the past 3 or so decades. I think now that people of other races aren't complaining so much, our voices are finally being heard.

Had he asked me where I'm from, I'd have flatly quoted an NDN comedian and said, "I'm from your backyard... I dare you to tell me to go back where I'm from... I just dare you."

Unknown said...

What a great post! I also know when people dislike me. Although I can't always tell why. Sometimes I think I just remind people of something. But back home I know when it's just racism and it makes my blood boil. Especially because they lack such education about the world it makes me a little sad for them. Arrghh!